October 16, 2018

APAC Member and Pension Expert Kathleen Stauffer Elected to University Senate

Kathleen Stauffer.
THE UNIVERSITY Senate term of one of three AP Senators, Marelet Kirda, Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Research, ended in 2017. Kathleen Stauffer, Assistant Dean for Administration, College of Urban Planning and Public Affairs, was elected to the Senate to succeed Kirda.

STAUFFER HAS been a member of APAC for five years.

SHE NOTED that she wanted to join the Senate “To keep up to date about what is going on at the University, and possibly make a difference in its future.”

HER EXPERTISE concerning the State Universities Annuitants Association (SUAA) makes Stauffer a welcome addition to the Senate.

“I’VE BEEN a member of SUAA for over ten years, but I just joined the board this past year,” Stauffer said. “I am a director at large for the UIC SUAA chapter. I joined the board because I am very concerned about our pensions, and I think it is necessary to represent current employees on the board.

“RETIREES’ PENSIONS are relatively safe now, but the State Legislature is still looking for ways to diminish current employees’ pensions,” Stauffer continued. “By serving on the SUAA board, I can have more say in what actions SUAA decides to support or oppose when it comes to issues that will impact not only retirees, but also current employees.”

STAUFFER NOTED that it was SUAA that took up the fight to sue when the State passed legislation that would have had retirees pay for their health insurance, and the State Supreme Court found the legislation unconstitutional. She said that in the Legislature’s continuing attempts to resolve the State pension problem through diminishing retirees’ benefits, “It’s focus is now current employees, Tiers I and II and adding a third tier, each with lesser benefits,” Stauffer explained. “As a member of the SUAA board, I feel I will be able to stay informed and pass this information on to the Senate and to co-workers, whom I encourage to join SUAA to take an active role in protecting their benefits.”

No comments:

Post a Comment