August 24, 2015

APAC PROFILE

Lynn Schneider.
Lynn Schneider is APAC’s new Graduate Assistant

By Susan S. Stevens

A NEW go-to person at UIC’s Academic Professional Advisory Committee is Lynn Schneider, hired in June as the committee’s Graduate Assistant.

“I BECAME interested in APAC because I kept hearing about the interesting, positive, and impactful things the committee was doing on campus,” she said. “The major one I heard about was the Town Hall with the chancellor and then I had heard a little bit about the job survey and what they are trying to do with that.” APAC is conducting a survey about Academic Professionals’ response to a University audit and the conversion of some of their positions to Civil Service.

“I THINK APAC is doing an amazing job,” Schneider said. “I really hope that I can assist APAC so that it continues to run efficiently and effectively and continues to make constructive and lasting impacts on campus,” Schneider said. “I will be taking the minutes at the meetings and sending out the agenda and reminders about the meetings and setting up spaces. I also am going to be doing some work to update the website.”

SHE IS working on a Master’s degree in Urban Planning and Policy. “With this degree there are truly many different career routes that can be pursued, so my ideal job is continually changing,” Schneider said. “However, I am still always leaning toward my original plan, which is to work on small-scale neighborhood revitalization efforts in economically distressed communities.”

SHE GRADUATED from Indiana University in 2012 with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Spanish and International Studies. After graduation, she moved to China for a year and worked as an English teacher in Changsha with students who would not have had access to English classes otherwise.

“COMING BACK was an adjustment, and I worked for a software firm in Indianapolis for a few months before moving back to China once more, to a small town outside Jinan,” Schneider said. “The second time I led seminars for doctors and nurses who planned to come to the U.S. to get additional training.”

SCHNEIDER HOPES to move to Hong Kong and work, live, and travel around there for a few years in the near future. Hong Kong has a fascinating aspect of China with a mix of Western culture, she said.

TO CONTACT her: lschne6@uic.edu or (317) 509-8424.

No comments:

Post a Comment